emblem

Our Beginnings

Mother house

Mother house in Switzerland

Mother Bernarda Heimgartner stands at the origin of the Congregation of the Sisters of the Holy Cross founded in the village of Menzingen, Switzerland in 1844. She knew that God is merciful, gentle and full of concern. He is near to the human side of people.

God called Mother Bernarda and two companions to leave their homes for a life of friendship with him. As friends of God and each other, they became pilgrims in the world, committed to promoting the mission of God.

Mother Bernarda was a deeply believing religious woman. Inspired by the Enlightenment of the 19th century, she was convinced that education could set free the positive energies in human beings for a Gospel way of life. The founding sisters sought to transform society by means of education and the Gospel.

They made a contribution to the improved standing of women and helped raise the standard of education in their society.

 

© Sisters of the Holy Cross 2014

Website by Wild Goose Websites